If you are aiming at weight loss or working on reducing your blood sugar levels with a type 2 diabetes by following a diet that is low in carbohydrates, you might be thinking that you will be deprived of eating most of your favorite foods. While there may be certain foods that are will not be allowed to feast on, there is still light at the end of the tunnel. There will always be alternate foods that can satiate your cravings. While these other foods will keep your food cravings at bay, they will simultaneously work on controlling your intake of carbs. So, check out this list of things that you should avoid in a low card diet plan and foods that you can eat instead.
- Replace the gluten grains like wheat, barley, rye, etc. with millet. These whole grains are fortified and high in sugar.
- Enjoy your pizza, cheeseburger or the tacos but without the bread. Bread and related products have a high GI and will raise your blood sugar and increase your appetite making you want to eat quite often.
- Say no to fizzy soft drinks, fruit juices, energy drinks, candies and ice-creams with healthy vegetable soups or healthy smoothies that are made with fresh ingredients.
- Instead of rice or rice crackers, you can make cauliflower rice. With almost 80% carbs, rice is mostly used to bulk out a meal.
- Switch from potatoes or pasta to zucchini noodles. Pasta is loaded with carbohydrates without giving you any important nutrients.
- Avoid fruits like mangoes, pineapples grapes, etc. These fruits have a very high glycemic index and hence will make your insulin spike leading to weight gain. You can have berries and melons instead that are low carb, nutrient dense and have a high content of water.
- Ditch candies, cookies, cakes, and pastries. These are high in sugar, wheat, and bad fats. Satiate the cravings of a sweet tooth with an occasional bite of dark chocolate that is 85% cocoa or above.
- And lastly, you can swap your mug of beer with an occasional red-wine or a gin which has a relatively lower count of carbs per serving.
The bottom line is still the same – Eat a lot of veggies and greens and drink enough water. Cut down on sugar and flour completely. You will be able to improve your health, weight, and nutrition beyond belief just by sticking to this simple hack.