If you are suffering from itchy skin it may be because of a number of reasons. From a flea bite to serious conditions like psoriasis, itchy skin can be caused by different medical conditions. The best way to understand it is by diagnosing the itchy skin symptoms. Consulting a doctor will be an ideal way to treat itchy skin symptoms and get a prognosis on what steps to take to control the itchiness.
However, it is not often possible to get hold of a doctor. You must be aware of these daily routines that will help you to control itchiness.
- Use a good quality moisturizing lotion: Apply a high-quality or a medicinal moisturizing lotion to the itchy areas at least once a day.
- Use creams and gels that have a cooling effect on your skin: Try to use creams and gels that are based on cucumber, aloe vera, mint, and lemon that produce a cooling effect on the skin.
- Avoid items that make your skin itch more: Try to avoid using clothes or foods or conditions that aggravate the itchiness.
- Apply anti-itch cream or lotion to the affected area: Anti-itch creams are easily available in a pharmaceutical store. Buy one and apply to the affected area at least 2-3 times daily.
- Don’t scratch: It is hard not to scratch when your skin is itchy, but try not to scratch the irritant areas as it may lead to a nasty infection. If necessary, wear gloves.
- Apply a cool and wet compress: Cove the affected area with a wet compress preferably using ice cold or cool water.
- Bathe in different solutions: Prepare a bath by dissolving baking soda or finely grounded oatmeal in lukewarm water. Soak your whole body in it for about 30 mins. Wash it all off with normal water and apply moisturizer.
You will get relief from itchy skin symptoms if you follow these common remedies. But if the itchiness persists, it is recommended that you consult a doctor.