When you talk too much or shout at the top of your voice, you will experience an irritation or inflammation in your voice box. This could be because of any hidden infection or irritation in your larynx. Inside your larynx, there are vocal chords which form the sound through its movement and vibration. But, when you have laryngitis, these vocal chords get inflamed and irritated. Because of this inflammation or irritation, your sound becomes worse. In certain cases, the voice completely goes away. However, the voice becomes normal after a week or so.
Laryngitis is quite simple to treat. Here are a few ways common treatments for laryngitis.
In the case of chronic laryngitis, a doctor will examine the vocal chords. A doctor might even ask to consult an ear or nose specialist. The two techniques that are primarily used to treat laryngitis are laryngoscopy (the doctor will examine the vocal chord with tiny mirror and light to look into the back of the throat) and biopsy (in case the doctor finds signs of serious damage around the throat).
Treatment for laryngitis
Laryngitis often gets better within a week or so. If necessary self-care measures are taken then it can help in controlling laryngitis. Some of the medications that are used in the treatment for laryngitis are:
- Antibiotics: In most of the cases, laryngitis is caused by a viral infection. In such cases, antibiotics will not work. However, if there is a bacterial infection then a doctor might prescribe antibiotics.
- Corticosteroids: If it is required to treat laryngitis as soon as possible then this is perhaps the best medication one can get. Corticosteroids reduce vocal chords inflammation in no time.
However, one must not self-administer these medications. Only a doctor can prescribe the accurate dosage as per the diagnosis.
Home Remedies and lifestyle changes
Changing certain lifestyle habits can also be a preventive treatment for laryngitis. Here is what you can do.
- Breathe moist air
- Give the throat ample rest
- Increase fluid intake
- Keep the throat moist as it will prevent any irritation
- Whispering or shouting puts a strain on the voice and so it is better to avoid both and speak in natural volume.